Sunday, December 24, 2017

W3/PO-029 Smiths Gap Mountain

This mountain is the high point of a long, wooded ridge. The easiest access is from the top of Smith Gap Road, where it crosses the Appalachian Trail. There is space for a few cars here, and it is where I parked. The coordinates given on the SOTA page are wrong, and inspection of the USGS quad shows that there is a higher point a short distance east of the official point. Both of these points, as well as a few miles of the ridge, are in the activation zone.
I find such a comfort following white blazes.
I set off southbound on the AT. After about half a mile of rocky, Pennsylvania trail, the trail goes past the high point. Somewhere in the woods to the south of the trail is the high point. The relief is so low, I wandered around a bit, but couldn't find any place that was definitely the highest point. I returned to the trail and walked back towards the car until I found a good place to set up. There was a nice rock to sit on and keep the loop a little bit off the damp ground.
Somewhere in there is the high point.
It had warmed up a bit since I was on Broad Mountain, so I spent a bit more time on the summit. I made five contacts on 30, then called for a while on 17 but didn't get any takers. There was intermittent 3G (Verizon) on the summit, enough for text spots. It was still cold out, though, so once I was done on 17 I packed up and headed back. As I was about to leave, a backpacker came down the trail, so I stopped and talked with him for a few minutes. He was hoping to finish the PA section of the trail this year, and only had to get north to the Delaware Water Gap, and easy day or two of walking.
More white blazes on the way back.
Back at the car I drove over to Topton Mountain for the final summit of the day. Back in 2013 when I thru-hiked the AT I passed through this area. As can be seen from my journal of the day, this section of trail did not make an impression, at least compared to nearby areas.

Trailhead: Top of Smith Gap Road, where it crosses the AT.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the AT southbound until you get to the high point. A GPS is handy to determine this. The activation zone is a few miles long, and includes the road, so this could be done as a drive-up.
Red Tape: None. Watch out for hunters. Be friendly to the thru-hikers, and share your food with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment