Monday, January 8, 2018

W6/NC-402

This unnamed peak makes a great add-on peak after Berryessa Peak, if you have any energy left after the hike up. The best trailhead is just up the hill from the Berryessa Peak Trailhead, at the top of the hill on the outside of the curve in the road. There is a gate and a pullout large enough for a few cars.
Near the trailhead, looking towards the lake.
There are no trails leading to the summit, but there are herd paths that you can easily follow up. The simplest route navigationally is to follow the ridge that starts right behind the gate. This is generally a good route. However, near the top there is some dense brush, around the 960' contour. At this point, take the herd path that heads to the south and climbs up the reentrant on that side. I did not do this on the way up, and enjoyed some difficult bushwhacking.
The ridge goes straight up here, but turn to the left (south) and go up over there to avoid the bushwhack.
The summit is surrounded by brush, but this is between waist and shoulder high and much easier to push through. The maps show the summit to be just outside the public land, but this is incorrect. It is possible to get to the summit without trespassing. After tagging the summit, I descended to a small clearing along the fence to set up my antenna. It was getting late, and I didn't want to be hiking off trail in the dark, so I did a quick activation.

The no trespassing sign made a good place to wedge in my pole.
Despite not spending much time on any band, I made contacts on all three bands I tried. I then packed up, and mostly retraced my steps back to the car, avoiding the difficult bushwhack I had done on the way up. I hadn't moved my car from the first trailhead, so I had a quarter mile roadwalk to get back to the car.
Roadwalk back to the Berryessa Peak Trailhead.
Trailhead: Berryessa Peak Trailhead. Not marked on the road, but Google knows where it is.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Cross the fence, and follow the ridge up to the summit. There are herd paths that can be followed. At the dense brush, go to the south around it. There is no way to avoid the dense brush at the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Berryessa Peak summit hidden in the clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment