Monday, August 6, 2018

W6/NS-355 Jackson Butte

Jackson Butte is an easy drive up peak that overlooks the town of Jackson, along highway 88. You can drive up into the activation zone on a steep and narrow paved road.
On 30 meters, waiting for the fourth contact.
There is a lot of RF noise on the summit, as there are towers and homes nearby. I setup, and started on 30. It took me a few minutes, but after I got my four contacts I packed up. It was smokey, and I wanted to get into the nicer mountains higher up. The one bright spot, however, was that it was my 500th activation point, and 200th activation. Halfway to mountain goat!
I wouldn't recommend this peak, except for completeness. I certainly won't be heading back.

Trailhead: Top of King Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Just drive into the activation zone.
Red Tape: None.

2 comments:

  1. My QTH is about 50 feet from the top of this summit. If you decide to come here, let me know and I will open the locked gate for you. 73, Dennis n6kdham@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer! If I ever do that peak again I'll get in touch.

      Delete