Thursday, August 22, 2019

W6/SN-032 Sonora Peak

It was time for a Sierra SOTA weekend. Adam, K6ARK, had invited me to join him and some other activators for a weekend backpacking trip over Piute Pass. I left home a day area to get some more peaks and to try and acclimate a bit. First up was Sonora Peak. This is the highest point in Alpine County, and is just north of Sonora Pass.
Gate(?) at the start of the trail.
The best place to start seems to be the St Marys Pass Trailhead. This is where 6N39Y leaves 108 on the FS map, a short distance to the west of Sonora Pass. Google has a marker there. There is no sign on the road, and I nearly missed the turn. There is a short section of rough road, then an open area with plenty of parking. I tried to park under a tree, but the sun moved and my car was warm when I got back. 
Heading up the trail.
There are some trees at the start, but the trail quickly gets out into the open. The summit seems like it should be visible as you hike up, but I think it is too far back to see. It is a pleasant climb up to the pass, where there are a number of signs letting you know it is a wilderness boundary. I was expecting to have to start bushwhacking here, but there is a well-worn use path that heads up to the right. 
Wilderness boundary with the use trail heading up the hill.
I followed the trail. It was well defined as it climbed up to a small plateau, then it seemed to end. I could see where it picked up on the other side, so I just made a beeline for that point. This was the end of the easy section of the hike.
The wildflowers were still blooming.
Once the trail started heading up again it was steep. I had spent the night at sea level, and was really feeling the effects of the altitude, over 10,800' at this point. I took my time and drank plenty of water, and made it to the top. The views were quite nice, and it wasn't too cold. 
Summit panorama.
After taking a snack break I put up my antenna. I had a little bit of service, but it was very intermittent. I did my best to get a spot out, then started calling CQ. I worked 20 and 40 before I started getting too cool in the wind. I took the same route back down, but in much less time.  
At the top.
Trailhead: St. Marys Pass Trailhead.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the trail to the top of the ridge at the wilderness boundary. Turn right and follow the use trail to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment