Tuesday, January 31, 2017

W6/NC-406 Sulphur Springs Mountain

Sulphur Springs Mt is a small peak above Vallejo, and was the second one I did on a two summit activation day. There are two routes up, one starting at the highway, the other in a neighborhood. It is unclear what the parking situation is at the second trail head, so I started at the Park & Ride lot at the off ramp. KF7PXT describes the other route in his blog. The first half-mile or so is a paved sidewalk along Hiddenbrooke Parkway. After turning into the hills the trail makes its way over a few small hills before getting to the summit. There are a few towers at the top, but they looked like they could have used some maintenance. There was a reasonably flat open area to operate from. I didn't use this area, instead choosing to setup in some trees on the sunny side of the peak.
After putting out a spot I worked the pileup on 30, then jumped up to 2 meters I only had my whip antenna, so not many VHF contacts this time. The contest was still going on, so I handed out a few points on 20 as I worked my way down the band. In total I made 16 contacts. By then it was getting late, so I packed up and made it back to the car before the sun set. 


Trailhead: Just off I-80, small park & ride lot.
Website: SOTA Page
Maps: Bay Area Ridge TrailKB1KXL SOTA Hikes map
Route: Hiddenbrooke Trail all the way. Some steep sections. Trail is totally exposed. Copse at the top could provide shade while operating.
Red Tape: None, just don't park illegally

No comments:

Post a Comment