Tuesday, January 31, 2017

W6/NC-422

This unnamed peak is the highest point in the Lynch Canyon Open Space, east of American Canyon in the North Bay. This was the first summit I activated, out of two this day. I hiked up on a Saturday morning after a week of heavy rains, and the ground was soggy and muddy, especially in the valleys. Other than the mud, it was an easy hike up to the summit. I was pleasantly surprised to find a bench near the top, well within the activation zone.


I setup my pole and antenna, and was on the air. I made 13 contacts on 30 and 20 meters. There was a contest going on, so finding a clear frequency on 20 was a challenge. I had a nice chat with the first person to answer my CQ. After saying 73 I spotted myself and worked the small pileup. One op had a terrible fist that I couldn't understand at all. I feel bad for not working him, since he was so loud, but I couldn't even figure out the first letter of his call. I briefly tried VHF, but no one answered after a few calls and I was getting cold in the wind so I packed up and headed down. On the way down I slipped a few times, but didn't fall in the slick mud on the slopes. 

Looking West / South West from the summit


Trailhead: Just off of I-80, very easy to find. Reasonably sized parking lot with a pit toilet. $6/car.
Maps: KB1KXL SOTA Hikes mapHere is the official one, and the Bay Area Ridge Trail also has one.
Route: A number of trails were closed due to the recent rains, so I took the Middle Valley Trail to the Prairie Ridge Trail up and down. This was not a difficult trail. The trail is mostly exposed, possibility for shade at the summit.
Red Tape: The park is closed, or fewer trails open when its wet out, so double check before you drive up.

No comments:

Post a Comment