Monday, July 31, 2017

W6/NC-178 Ben Lomond Mountain

Ben Lomond Mountain is a drive up peak near the town of Felton. I drove up after activating three peaks in Big Basin SP (China Grade BM, Mt McAbee, Pine Mtn). There is a CalFire station at the summit, but this is closed to the public. Others have said there is a jail as well, but I didn't see it. Some trip reports on peakbagger mention talking to the fire fighters to try and get to the high point, but that they wouldn't allow it. I setup in a small pull-out near an antenna tower, and set up my mag loop.
Pullout where I set up. True summit behind photographer and to the right.
It was late in the day, and I had trouble getting the four contacts I needed. I always seem to have trouble with activations around the end of the UTC day. The cell service was spotty as well, but there was enough to send out some spots. I eventually got one on 30 and 17 each, and two on 20. There were a lot of flies and bugs swarming around me as I operated. I called for a while on VHF/UHF, but didn't get any responses, to my surprise. I got a lot of looks from drivers and bikers as they went by. After packing up I braved the afternoon traffic on CA 17 to get back to the Bay Area.

Trailhead: Empire Grade Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Find somewhere on the side of the road to set up. All private property in the area.
Red Tape: None if you stay on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment