Monday, July 31, 2017

W6/NC-221 China Grade Benchmark

China Grade Benchmark is the high point on a ridge at the northern end of Big Basin Redwoods State Park. The activation zone is quite long, and the China Grade Road is in the activation zone for quite a ways. To get there, I would recommend putting the summit GPS coordinates in your map, then follow the driving directions. when you are very close, find a pullout on the side of the road to park in, then find somewhere nearby to set up in. The BSA has a camp at the end of the road, there may be signs out for Cutter Scout Reservation at the junction of China Grade Road and CA 236.
Parking spot on China Grade Road.
I did this, then walked around in the woods until I found a good branch to throw an antenna over. There are some areas of very dense forest, so it can pay to look around for the best place to set up. China Grade Road is on the eastern border of the park, so head west to avoid entering someone's private property. Last year, I drove to the high point of the road, which is past the high point, and found some open forest to set up in.
Antenna. Operating position on the other side of the bushes.
I setup my doublet and got on 30 meters. There was a weak 4G signal, so I was able to spot myself. I quickly got seven contacts, then moved up to 17. Here I got three more. There were a large number of mosquitoes, and it was hard trying to send CW while swatting away the bugs. I put out a few calls on VHF, but didn't get a response. I hadn't expected one, because there is a tall ridge separating this area from the populous Bay Area, and I didn't have a directional antenna. There were three more peaks I had planned for the day (Mt McAbee, Pine Mtn, Ben Lomond Mtn), so I packed up and headed down to Big Basin Headquarters to hike to the next peak.
Car and the road from near the operating position.

Trailhead: China Grade Road. Drive into the activation zone.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Operate from the road, or find a better place in the woods.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment