Monday, November 13, 2017

W6/NC-029 Copernicus Peak

Copernicus Peak is the highest peak of Mt Hamilton, and the high point of Santa Clara County. I drove up after activating nearby Mt Isabel. There are a few peaks on the summit ridge, all named after famous astronomers. I drove past the observatory, and parked  at the base of the access road that leads up to the summit. If you have received permission, you can go around the gate and walk up the road. The road ends at a building, but a trail with switchbacks leads up to the tower on top.
Summit trail to the left, outside of picture.
I tagged the high point, then set up my antenna in a flat area below the peak on the other side. I spent some time on the HF and VHF bands, and made a few contacts on each. When I was done, I went back up to the tower and took some more pictures, since the sun had come out again. When I was done, I walked back to the car, and drove over to the observatory.
Looking back at the telescopes. Loma Prieta and Mt Um were hidden in some low clouds.

View to the north. I could see Mt Allison and Sunol Ridge. With binoculars, more peaks would have been visible.

Operating area, down in the flat section.
The telescopes and visitors center were still open, so I spent some time looking around. I'll have to come back some time and get a tour.
What's inside the white domes.

From the visitors center, looking back to Copernicus Peak.
Trailhead: Pullout at the base of access road.
Website: SOTA SiteObservatory page
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Walk up the road and trail to the summit. There are a few reasonable areas to setup in.
Red Tape: Ask for permission at the observatory before heading up.
Mt Isabel to the south.

No comments:

Post a Comment