Monday, November 6, 2017

W6/NC-300 Kreiger Peak

Kreiger Peak is the highest point in Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve, north of Mt Diablo. (2021 update: It appears the summit is actually outside the park in EBRPD's Clayton Ranch property) I found it to be a very nice hike up to the peak, through some interesting historical areas. After paying my $5 entrance fee, I drove up to the end of the road and parked in the lot there. This is the site of the abandoned town of Somersville, where the miners used to live. From here I took the Chaparral Loop Trail up the narrow canyon.
Gravel road at the start of the hike.
This trail goes up the side of the canyon until it crosses the stream bed. Here I took a link trail to the Manhattan Canyon Trail. This trail climbed up the upper part of the canyon until it intersects the Black Diamond Trail. The Black Diamond Trail is part of the American Discovery Trail, that runs from Point Reyes to Delaware across the US. This is a well maintained fire road, and I took it around a nameless summit. 
Hike around this nameless peak.
I took the road up into a wide, picturesque valley. On a small rise, the trail gets close to a fence, and I decided to bushwhack from here, rather than hiking the long way around. I crawled under the fence, then hiked up a shallow re-entrant into an open forest. This climbed at a reasonable grade until I came over a crest to an open, flat area. There was a road running at the base of the hill across the flat area.
The towers are to the right of the summit, which is not visible.
I took this road to the right, to where it intersects with another, paved road. I took the paved road up to a small col below the summit. From here it was a steep hike up to the ridge, then a pleasant walk along the ridge up to the high point. The summit has a number of big rocks, and I found a flat one to sit on while I operated. The sun had come out, so I spent a long time on the summit, enjoying the views and talking to the chasers. 
Looking west. Vollmer Peak and Mt Tam were easily visible. 
There was a falcon (I think) that was flying around the ridge, and I enjoyed watching it. My cell phone was not able to get a good picture of it, sadly.
Marsh Benchmark is just inside the clouds. North Peak on the right.

North Peak and Mt Diablo, after they finally came out of the clouds.






















On the way down I took a more roundabout route, stopping by the old Somersville cemetery to have a look. Next time I come to the park, I'll go on a ranger led tour of the area. It is a pretty area, and definitely somewhere I'd like to visit again. 

Trailhead: End of the road in Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve.
Website: SOTA SitePark Website
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the Chaparral Loop Trail to the Manhattan Canyon Trail. Go up the Black Diamond Trail, then bushwhack up to the top. There are lots of trails in the park, so plenty of options to get up and down.
Red Tape: None.
Looking north to Napa and Solano counties.

No comments:

Post a Comment