Monday, July 9, 2018

W6/NS-136 Thornburg Peak

I had some time off during the July 4 holiday, so I decided to go to the Sierra and get some activations in. I decided to head to the Carson Pass and Highway 88 area, because there are a number of summits here, including some unactivated ones. I left home early on the fourth, and got to the trailhead at the heigh of land on Blue Lakes Road by 10am. There was a faint trail that led over the shoulder of Jeff Davis Peak, then down into the meadow on the other side.
First view of Thornburg Peak, from the shoulder of Jeff Davis Peak.
The trail was very faint as it passed through this low area, but I was able to follow it enough to get to the stream that it follows up to a low pass. From this pass I went cross country. I thought I could be clever and contour around some sub-peaks, but this was a mistake. It was much harder. After passing through some exposed rocks, I rejoined the ridge and has some easier going. Eventually I reached the key col and began my ascent up to the summit.
On the side of one of the sub peak, looking at the destination.
I climbed up the ridge to a rocky outcropping, then decided to go through the woods around the last sub-peak. From the last bit of forest up to the col, then the summit was straightforward and easy. At the summit I looked for a register, but didn't see one.
Looking back to Jeff Davis and Markleeville Peaks from the summit.
I had lunch, then set up my antenna and was on the air. There was good cell service on top, and I had no trouble spotting myself. I quickly got 18 contacts on 30 and 20 meters, then decided to pack up. My original plan was to hit Markleeville Peak and Jeff Davis Peak, and I wanted to leave enough time to get both.
Taking a break on the way back up.
I stayed on the ridge to get back to the trail, and had an easy walk, along with great views. I should have taken this route both directions. I was debating the best way to get up Markleeville, but decided that I wouldn't have time, since it was mid-afternoon already, and I was not acclimated to the elevation. Instead I went straight to Jeff Davis Peak.
From the Jeff Davis Creek meadow.
Trailhead: Height of land, Blue Lakes Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the trail over the shoulder of Jeff Davis, down to the meadow on the other side. At the top of the small col, turn right and follow the ridge to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment