Monday, August 6, 2018

W6/NS-096 Markleeville Peak

This peak was a pleasant climb from Blue Lakes Road. After a quick activation of Jackson Butte, I drove up and over 88 to the road, where I parked at the height of land. This is the same place I started when I did Thornburg and Jeff Davis. Again, I followed the old trail over the shoulder of Jeff Davis down to the col.
First good view of the summit.
The smoke wasn't too bad to start, but it got worse as the afternoon went on. In the col I left the trail and headed up the slope. I headed to the left ridge for the first climb because it looked like there were some cliffs on the right one. At the top of the climb was a flat section.
Jeff Davis sticking up.
The next climb was similar to the first, but higher up there was some knee-high brush. I pushed through it, then walked up the talus below a sub-peak. The talus was much easier. After going around the sub-peak it was a quick push up to the summit. I found the register in a broken toolbox and signed it.
From the left, Round Top, Elephants Back, Red Lake Peak, Stevens Peak.
There was a piece of wood stuck in some rocks, and I used the hole there to hold up my pole. After stringing out the end fed I was on the air. I had good service on the summit, so no problem sending out spots. I worked the usual bands, and had no problem getting enough contacts.
Looking down the smoke-filled Sawmill Creek canyon. Thornburg on the right.
I was in no rush, so after I was done calling CQ I started tuning around 20 meters. Near the bottom of the band I heard a very loud DX station. I looked up the call and found out it was Hungary! After a few tries I was able to work him. Definitely the best contact I made that weekend. The was another Hungarian station below him, but he couldn't hear me.
Back in July this was a great view from the road. Red Lake and Stevens should be visible, if there was no smoke.
By this point my eyes and throat were getting irritated by the smoke, so I packed up and retraced my steps back to the car. The descent was quick and uneventful.

Trailhead: Height of land, Blue Lakes road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the trail from the top of the pullout. At the col, go up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment