Wednesday, October 10, 2018

W1/HA-041 Pack Monadnock

Pack Monadnock is the highest and most prominent summit in Hillsborough County. It is also a very easy peak to activate. There is a paved road to the summit for those who don't like hiking. I had a few hours in the morning before I had to head to the airport to go back to California, so my Mom and I headed out to a nearby easy peak.
Heading up the well maintained Wapack Trail, blazed with yellow triangles.
We paid our entry fee and parked at the base of the road in Miller State Park. It was overcast with low clouds, and cool, but it didn't rain while we were out. We decided to make a loop, heading up the Wapack Trail then down the Marion Davis Trail. Neither trail is hard, and the loop could be done in either direction.
One of the stunning views we got on the way up.
We made good time, and got to the summit in about an hour. There was no view, but we climbed up the fire tower anyways. This peak is used in the fall to count and watch raptors as they migrate, but there were none to be seen today.
I claimed a picnic table and got set up. There was great cell coverage, so I spotted myself on 20. I got three contacts there, then went down to 30. I was getting worried I wouldn't get a fourth, but N4EX came back to me and saved the activation.
The antenna gathering water.
By this point we had been on top for about 30 minutes and were getting cold. I quickly packed up, and we headed back down. There were lots of groups and young kids coming up, probably because it was a school holiday. Back at the car we headed home for some lunch with the rest of the family.

Trailhead: Miller State Park, on NH 101.
Website: SOTA Site. State Park Site
Route: Hike up either the Wapack Trail or the Marion Davis Trail. Same start and end points, same lengths and difficulties.
Red Tape: None.
Foggy New Hampshire forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment