Monday, July 27, 2026

W6/SS-433 Noname Peak

 Noname Peak might be officially un-named, but some places give it this name, so that's what I'll use. The peak is an unremarkable summit east of the Sierra crest near 9 Mile Canyon Road. I parked at an open area along the aqueduct service road. Google has a marker called "Los Angeles Aqueduct 1" near the spot I parked. The dirt road was rough, but short enough the rental sedan I had could make it. 

Aqueduct selfie.

From here I took the road down and across the creek, then back up. Where the acqueduct started following the contours I left the road and started going straight up the hill. It was steep and sandy, which made for slow hiking. I surprised a rattlesnake, and had to make a detour.


Leaving the road. 

Thankfully it was not hot, and there was enough breeze to make the hike up tolerable. It was a slog. Eventually I reached a ridge that lead to the summit, and followed that. It was nice to have some rocks and relatively flat ground to walk on. 

Looking towards the Sierra crest

The summit was broad, with a Joshua tree near the high point. It made a convenient support for my antenna wire. It was cool on top, and it looked like a storm system was moving in. It did actually rain that night. The radio conditions were terrible. It took a lot of work to get my four contacts.

Radio time.

I didn't realize it at the time, but this summit put me over 2000 points for my double goat. Not knowing, I didn't celebrate. Instead I packed up and headed across the ridge to Noname's slightly lower neighbor for another activating, praying the radio gods would be happier in an hour. 

 

Trailhead: Nine Mile Canyon Road, at the LA aqueduct.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Use the access road to cross the canyon, then pick you own way to the top.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment