Monday, April 17, 2017

W6/NC-432 Chabot 2 Benchmark

Chabot 2 Benchmark is an easy peak near the junction of 580 and 238 in San Leandro. This area is popular with dog walkers, and dogs are explicitly allowed off-leash. From the Fairmont Ridge Staging area, go up the paved trail. There are views to the East as you walk up.
Lake Chabot.
When you reach the gate at the line of trees, don't go through the gate. Follow the trail down, then up to near the summit. The true summit is fenced off, so find somewhere in the trees to set up. Through the trees you can see SF and the Oakland airport.
Don't go through the gate!
There were a bunch of cows near the place I decided to set up initially. After my antenna was mostly up, the cows started coming over, and seemed threatening to me, so I took down the antenna and moved away from the cows. I made 9 contacts, including a 2m summit to summit with K6ZHS on Discovery Peak. We tried to get a S2S on the 70cm band, but had no luck.

Trailhead: Fairmont Ridge Staging Area on Fairmont Drive.
Website: SOTA Site
Maps: Not really needed. KB1KXL SOTA Hikes map
Route: Follow the paved road to the fence. Leave the road, staying on the right side of the fence. There are a few areas one could set up in.
Red Tape: None.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the write up, I activated here yesterday (my first SOTA)!

    ReplyDelete