Friday, June 1, 2018

W7A/AW-061 Sugarloaf Mountain

Sugarloaf Mountain is a fun little peak near Hoover Dam, on the Arizona side of the river. This was my backup peak for the day, since the other one I had planned on climbing was too steep for me to feel comfortable on by myself. Heading South on US 93, take the Kingman Wash Access Road exit, and make a u-turn at the bottom of the ramp. There is a pullout with space for a number of cars. This was probably a scenic view area when the highway went over the dam.
Starting down the road, with the destination in view.
From here it is about a 0.6 mi road walk down old US 93. This section is closed to cars, so you can walk down the center if you want to. After crossing under the highway there is a dirt road that leaves on the left. Go around the fence and follow the dirt road up to the retaining pond, another quarter mile.
The ponds with Fortification Hill (NM-131) in the background.
From here it is an easy class 2/3 scramble up to the top. I had no problem finding easy routes up around the small cliffs. As you climb you get better and better views of the dam and surrounding area. The sun was in my eyes as I was climbing, making it a bit harder to see up where I was going.
Looking south from near the summit.
I found the register and benchmark at the top, and signed it. I set up on the west side of the summit so I could have a view of the dam and bridge as I operated. Last time I was here the bridge was not completed yet.
Enjoying the view while operating.
It was very windy, gusting into the 30 mph range. My antenna nearly blew over a few times, so I anchored it with some rocks. After that I only had to keep my notebook from blowing away. There was excellent cell service on top, so no issues spotting.
Probably good I didn't have a tripod here.
I started on 20 meters, and got a half dozen contacts. I then went down to 30, and was surprised that a bunch of chasers called again, until I remembered that the UTC day had just rolled over. After working the locals on 40 I decided to pack up before I got blown off.
Me not falling over in a big gust on top.
I retraced my steps back to the car and drove back to Las Vegas to get some dinner, managing to avoid the traffic jams.

Trailhead: Pullout at the Kingman Wash Road exit, US 93.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Walk down the paved road towards the dam. After crossing under the highway, take the dirt road up to the ponds. Cross-country up to the summit from here.
Red Tape: None.
At the base of the climb. Its not as bad as it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment