Saturday, June 2, 2018

W7N/CK-180

This unnamed peak, along with Sutor Benchmark, are both accessible from the Petroglyph Trailhead in Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area south of Las Vegas. I did the two peaks in a loop on a hot day. From the trailhead, the trail follows a wash up to the canyon.
Peak 3970 on the right, Sutor BM on the left.
This part of the trail is easy to follow, but somewhat tiring walking on loose sand. At the wilderness boundary there is a kiosk with some information, and a sign in sheet. About a mile from the trailhead is the first junction. I decided to take the 100 Trail, because it went by the petroglyphs. The petroglyphs are just past the last and highest scramble, but I was expecting something bigger, so walked right past them.
One of the dry cascades.
On the way back I found them, coming down from Sutor Benchmark. A short distance after the second junction with the 200 Trail, I left the main path and followed a wash that went up to the southwest. This was easy to follow, up to the top. At the top I had to climb over a small ridge, then follow a very rough wash up towards the peak.
A small ridge to cross, with the summit in the background.
I followed this rough wash up to an erosion gully, which had reasonable slopes for climbing the main peak. See the attached map. At a small flat area I made a sharp turn to the right for the final climb up to the summit. I didn't find a register, but there was a large ammo box that is a geocache, which I signed. 
Looking north towards Las Vegas.
I found a nice area to sit, and set up and got on the air. I didn't have any problems getting enough contacts on HF using the standard SOTA bands 20, 30, and 40 meters. After I was done with CW I gave a call on 2 meters and got two more contacts, one with someone mobile near the California border. 
Looking over at my next destination.
After working everyone, I packed up and retraced my steps to the top of the wash, where I began route finding over to Sutor Benchmark.

Trailhead: Petroglyph Trailhead, Sloan Canyon Conservation Area.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the 100 trail to the 300 trail. Take the wash on the right after the junction. Cross the low ridge, then climb up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
At the base of the climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment