Friday, June 8, 2018

W7N/CK-171 Red Rock Canyon Peak 4109

This peak is a relatively easy hike near the town of Blue Diamond, in the Red Rock Canyon area near Las Vegas. I parked in a paved pullout on Arroyo Road, before reaching any of the houses. From here I started following a wash up towards the peak. At the bottom of the slope, I went up.
A short distance up, looking down at the car.
There are a number of cliffs and steep bits, but it was easy to find a way up to the top. After I had ascended a few hundred feet I found a use trail that followed the edge of the cliff, I took the trail and it brought me right to the summit. There was lots of evidence of horses or burros.
Looking West towards Potosi Mountain and Mountain Springs BM.
On top I set up my mag loop and got on the air. Twenty meters was in really good shape, and I made nearly 20 contacts easily, including three summit-to-summits. Since 20 was so good I decided to try 17, and made another half dozen contacts, some much closer than I would have expected. I then spent some time calling on 30 and 40, but only made one on each.
Frenchman and Frenchman NW visible across Las Vegas through the haze.
I had been monitoring the SOTA-NA Slack group, and someone mentioned that 10 meters might be open, so I went up and made three contacts, including one to Texas. I could have made one more, but the person was sending with a big swing and no space between characters, and I couldn't figure out his callsign.
Sloan Canyon area. Rattlesnake Mtn, Black Mtn, McCullough Wilderness HP, Sutor BM, Pk 3970.
I finished up on 15, getting one final contact. By this point my radio was getting very hot and I was getting hungry, so I decided to head back down. Instead of going cross country, like I had on the way up, I followed the trail that went along the edge of the cliffs. This was a slightly longer route, but it was easy to follow and descend. There were a few points where it looked like it would end in a cliff, but someone had found ways around.
Following the wash at the bottom.
At the bottom of the hill the trail crosses a wash, but I turned and followed the wash back to near my car. I had to do a little more cross country, but I managed to pop out of the brush at the pullout where I had parked. I saw a lot of use trails near the bottom of the mountain, and some of them may be good routes up the mountain. Have fun exploring!

Trailhead: Paved pullout on Arroyo Road, near Blue Diamond.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Go cross country up to the summit, or try and find a use trail that takes you there.
Red Tape: None.
Looking to the colorful Red Rock cliffs. The slope on the right goes up to Blue Diamond Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment