Saturday, June 2, 2018

W7N/CK-160 Sutor Benchmark

This was the second peak of the day, coming directly from Peak 3970. From the top of the wash that I had climbed down to, I had to decide the best way to cross the ridge that separated the two washes. I found a trail that climbed over between two sub-peaks, which was an easy route. I then followed the trail a short distance on the other side, until it stopped going in the direction I wanted to go.
Looking back at peak 3970.
From here it was an easy cross country walk across the wide, flat area to the base of the peak. I then climbed up to the north ridge, then turned right and followed the ridge to the summit. I managed to avoid the really steep bits, with only a few steep areas near the top along the ridge.
Almost at the top.
The rocks were stable, and easy to hike up and down. At the top there is what looks like an old ski pole, along with a wind break and register. I signed the register, then found a place to set up and get on the air.
Benchmark, register, and windbreak.
Again I had no problems getting enough contacts, but I didn't generate any pileups. The KX3 got hot sitting in the sun, and I had to shade it as much as possible while calling CQ. After finishing with HF, I took out the HT. It had bad interference on 144 and 220, but I was able to get a contact on 440.
I was hot, but not as hot as the radio.
I was starting to run low on water, so I packed up and started down. I took the north ridge down, to the long, flat section. Here I dropped down into the wash. This was not difficult to walk down, and it ended at the 100 trail a short distance above the petroglyphs. While still off trail I saw two desert bighorn sheep, a mama and baby.
The bighorn sheep.
On the way down I knew where to look for the petroglyphs, and was able to see them. This area is called the Sistine Chapel of Petroglyphs because there are so many. I only saw a few, but they were really cool.
Petroglyphs.



Going down the cascades on the 100 trail was not difficult, and it was an easy hike out the rest of the way. I got back to the visitor center at closing time, right as the workers were driving away. I waved, then got in the hot car for the drive back to my hotel room and a shower.

Trailhead: Petroglyph Trailhead, Sloan Canyon Conservation Area.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: From the trailhead, the north/ northwest ridge is probably the best option. See description above for route I took.
Red Tape: Don't disturb the petroglyphs.
Out of the wilderness, almost back to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment