Monday, October 14, 2019

W6/SC-048 Los Pinos Mountain

I was headed to Yuma for a work trip. Since it is hard to fly into the Yuma airport, I decided to just go to San Diego and drive. Since I wasn't in a rush, I found a peak to bag on the way over. I had some IBTS from my run the previous day, so the drive up Los Pinos looked like a good peak.
The majestic Corte Madera, with Cuyamaca behind it.
Getting to the peak is easy. Google will lead you right there, and any sedan can make it to the top. The road is narrow and rough, so take it slow. As I parked at the top, the guy in the lookout came out and invited me up. This was the highlight of the peak. He showed me how all his fire lookout gear worked, and how the FS monitors everything.
Lookout from my operating position.
Once the fire stuff had run out, he started showing me pictures of all the critters he had captured on his trail cam. There were also swarms of humming birds around the tower, and other raptors soaring around in the wind. He gave me some tips for good places to set up and operate, and I walked down to the shade of some trees and set up.
Great views from the summit.
Conditions were decent, and I made plenty of contacts. Once I was done, I packed up and headed back down the hill for the rest of the drive to Yuma.

Trailhead: Drive up. The gate below the summit is closed at night.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Drive up.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment