Tuesday, October 8, 2019

W7I/CI-089 Deadline Ridge

I needed a long run, and Deadline Ridge looked like a good destination for that. I had done Deadline Ridge North a few years ago. This trip was much warmer and more pleasant than that frigid morning. I took the same route up to the ridge, but drove south a bit more. I wanted a 15mi run, so I parked far north of the summit, where Road 256 meets 541, the main road on the ridge. Depending on your car, you can drive much closer. A 4x4 or dirt bike could drive all the way to the summit.
It is a beautiful, open ridge.
A few cars passed me on the road, but after I passed the "not maintained" sign I didn't see anyone else. The road is in good shape a distance past that sign, and a sedan could likely be driven down it. It was pleasantly warm, like the end of summer usually is. There was a nice breeze to keep me cool as well.
One of the false summits on the way.
There were a number of false summits along the way, and some of them had me convinced I was almost there. There were one or two steep climbs, but nothing difficult to do on foot. At the base of the actual summit I could see there was a fence just past it. I went there first to do radio, then tagged the summit on the way back.
Finally, the real summit.
I used the fence to hold the pole and was on the air. I had good cell service, and had no trouble getting contacts. I didn't spend too long on top since I had a long way back, and had to be back in town to work in the evening.
Heading back.
I took the same route back, and saw even fewer cars than on the way out. I wasn't surprised, it was getting late on a Sunday afternoon. At the car I drove back down the hill and into Twin Falls for a shower and some dinner. I realized later that evening that I should have put some sunscreen on my legs. They got a bit burnt.

Trailhead: As far along Road 541 as you can drive.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow Road 541 south. Despite what the USFS map says, the road goes all the way to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
So beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment