Wednesday, October 16, 2019

W7A/YU-148 Telegraph Ridge

It was the day of the Arizona 10pt summit-to-summit event. There were no 10 point summits near me, so I decided to just do a nearby Arizona peak. The best option appeared to be this peak, Telegraph Ridge. There are a lot of towers on top and a very nice access road.
The peak is visible from the trailhead.
The trailhead is at the end of the frontage road on the north side of the interstate. Google has a marker there. There is a large dirt lot with lots of parking. It was pretty warm already, but I was confident I had enough water to make it up and back safely.
Desert scene.
There are a number of trail and roads at the base, so be careful to take the one you want. I didn't, and had to bushwhack a little bit over to the proper trail. At the base of the climb there is a gate to keep the cars out, and the road turns to pavement. It is quite steep.
Looking back down the switchbacks.
By the time I got to the top I looked like I had just been in a rainstorm I was sweating so much. The ridge is quite narrow, but I found a spot between some towers that I could set up my antenna. I started on 40, hoping to get in on the summit-to-summit action. I quickly got a large pileup, including about half a dozen s2s contacts.
Top of the ridge, looking south.
The higher bands weren't as fruitful, but I still made some contacts. By this point I had drank most of my water, and decided to pack up and head back. I finished the water as I neared the car, then drank a bunch more from the bottle I had left there. Back at the hotel I turned up the air conditioning and cooled off.
I'm not sure what these plants are, but they were fun to look at.
Trailhead: Telegraph Pass Trailhead. End of the frontage road on the north side of the interstate.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the vehicle access road to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

2 comments:

  1. Those are known as Ocotillo. They have large tubular red flowers in the spring.
    My folks are in Yuma, I've hiked up to the towers before I was licensed. Might have to get back up there on my next visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe some day I'll be down there in the winter or spring and see everything in bloom. It's not very nice in the summer.

      Delete