Monday, May 22, 2017

W6/CT-004 Mt Baden Powell

Baden-Powell was the first of three SOTA peaks I climbed from the Dawson Saddle trailhead, the other two were Throop Peak and Mt Lewis. As an Eagle Scout I felt that I should climb this peak while I had the chance. I parked in the pullout just before the maintenance shed, and found the trail across the road. The first section is steep, but once you get to the ridge it mellows out.
Mt Throop.
There were still some snow fields at higher elevations, but nothing too difficult to get across. The PCT hikers this year will have a lot more to deal with in the Sierra. It took me about 30 minutes to get to the ridge, where I turned right and followed it to the summit of Baden-Powell. I passed many thru-hikers, and talked to a few of them. If I had planned better, I would have brought some food to share with them. About an hour later I was on the summit. The last climb was a bit slower than normal because of the thin air at the elevation. It was windy, so I found some trees to set up behind. I've been doing so many activations with my mag loop I'm getting fast at setting it up.
Fog rolling in from the coast. It was nice to be above it.
I called CQ on 20 meters and hoped that RBNHole would spot me. There was no cell service at the top for self-spotting. I called for a while, and didn't get any responses. I had no way of knowing if this was because it was Wednesday morning or my signal wasn't getting out. Eventually I got three contacts. I then tried 30 and 17 meters, but had no luck. After switching back to 20 meters I finally got my last contact. It was getting chilly with the wind, so I packed up and headed back down the ridge to get Throop Peak.
Trail junction on the way up.

Trailhead: Dawson Saddle, Angeles Crest Highway.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: KB1KXL SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the trail that runs up the spur to the junction with the PCT. Turn right, (east/north-east) and follow the trail along the ridge to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment