Sunday, May 7, 2017

W6/CT-095 Liebre Mountain

My original plan for an activation was to go to the high peaks in San Gabriel National Forest, but the main highway is still closed due to the snow. So instead I picked a lower peak on the desert side of the range. I had never done a six-point peak, so Liebre Mountain was it. I drove up from the Burbank airport, and hoped that the clouds and rain would stop and lift by the time I got to the trailhead. The parking area was under the clouds, but I quickly climbed into them.
Looking down at the road and parking area.
I took the PCT up to the ridge, passing two NOBO thru hikers, then turned right and walked along the fire road until I was in the activation zone. It was cold and cloudy and windy, so I stopped and setup as soon as I was sure I was in the AZ. I had forgotten the stabilizer feet for my W4OP Loop, so I had a lot of trouble keeping it from falling onto me when the wind gusted. This also made it hard to tune. Overall, a very unpleasant situation. I barely scraped up 4 contacts, one on 40, two on 20, and one on 17 meters. As soon as I got the last one I packed up and headed down.
Views on the way down.
As soon as I got off the ridge the wind slackened and I soon got below the clouds. There were some decent views of the Mojave desert to the north. Overall it took me about 1.5 hours to get to the top, a brisk pace.

Trailhead: Height of land on Pine Canyon Road. PCT crosses the top of the parking area.
Website: SOTA Site
Maps: Halfmile's maps are popular with PCT hikers (Section E). I used a USFS map from CaltopoKB1KXL SOTA Hikes map
Route: Take the PCT up the hill (SOBO). At the top, go around the fence and follow the road into the activation zone.
Red Tape: None.
Cold and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment