Tuesday, May 23, 2017

W6/CT-153 Parker Mountain

Parker Mountain is an easy summits on the air peak not to far from the Antelope Valley Freeway. There is a road to the summit, but you'd need an off-road vehicle to make it up. The trailhead is at the height of land on the unpaved Hughet Pin Road, off of Hubbard Road. There is a small pullout just before the top where I parked.
Parking, from the beginning of the road/trail.
I crossed the street and headed up the hill. The road follows the ridge to the top of the mountain. Near the top you have the choice of going straight up, or following the road around on a more gentle path. I'd recommend staying on the road. On top there are two tree, an old concrete platform, and excellent views of the area. I setup on the platform, as it was flat and convenient. It was very windy, and I had to put some rocks on the stabilizing feet of my antenna so that it wouldn't blow over onto me.
Nice place to operate from, with views.
There was very good cell coverage up here, so I sent out a spot and started calling CQ. I didn't get many responses, but I was able to get the four needed for a successful activation. I packed up before I got blown away, and headed down to go climb W6/CT-167, nearby in the Angeles National Forest.

Trailhead: Height of land, Hughet Pin Road. Escondido Canyon Road -> Hubbard Rd -> L on Hughet Pin Rd.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: KB1KXL SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the dirt road to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Looking down on Acton.

No comments:

Post a Comment