Tuesday, May 23, 2017

W6/CT-167

This unnamed peak is on the northern border of the Angeles National Forest, and depending on how you read the map, the true highest point might be on private land. This is not a problem for SOTA activators, however, since a good part of the summit and activation zone is on public land. Like the other activators, I parked at the locked white gate just before Aliso Arrastre Cutoff on Aliso Canyon Road. From here, head up and follow the ridge to the summit.
Forest boundary post.
This is not quite a straight shot, there are a few turns and the true summit is hidden behind a ridge. A map is helpful for navigation here. My hike up was relatively uneventful. I set up near the post, and got my four contacts on 20 and 30 meters. By now it was getting to be lunch time, and I hadn't brought much food, so I headed down. I thought I'd be clever and contour around the sub-peak, but wasn't watching carefully and nearly went down the wrong side of the mountain. Luckily I caught myself before I got too far, and turned around. I then decided to contour around some more until I got back to the ridge I wanted to be on, rather than climbing up to the top of the ridge. This was an adventure, walking across the steep, slippery slopes, but I made it without any issues. It was a relief to see the car again, and know I had followed the right path down.
Looking back at Parker Mountain.

Trailhead: Aliso Canyon Road, just north of Aliso Arrastre Cutoff. Locked white gate, large pullout for parking past gate.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: KB1KXL SOTA Hikes map.
Route: See the map. Follow the ridge near the road up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment