Monday, September 18, 2017

W6/CC-046 Loma Prieta

Loma Prieta is the highest mountain in the Santa Cruz Mountains, that run from San Francisco to Santa Cruz. Because it is so high and prominent, it is easy to get close to the peak in a car. However, the roads near the top are narrow and windy. Not a good place to bring your giant car or trailer. After spending Sunday morning orienteering at Big Basin, I drove up to activate Loma Prieta. There is a large area you can park at approximately 21922 Loma Prieta Ave, and this is where I started my hike from.
Loma Prieta. It looks like the fire line went over the summit.
From here, head up Loma Prieta Road. This is mostly dirt, with a few sections of beat up pavement. A fire burned through here recently, and the trees have not recovered yet, but the undergrowth is looking healthy. It was also easy to see where the firefighters had built the fire lines. There are great views along the road on the way. I saw a total of three other cars while I was out, two on the way up, one while coming down. At the next intersection, continue on Loma Prieta Road. This dirt road obviously heads up towards the summit. Near the top there are a few other roads that branch off, but its not hard to get to the high point.
Mt Um in the center. It was opening weekend for the peak.
There are a lot of towers on top, but I found an old concrete slab to set up on. It was almost as good as having a picnic table at the top. I started on 30 meters after sending out a spot, and got three contacts. I called for a while on 20 and 17, but didn't have any luck. My HT was able to deal with all the RF on the summit, at least on 2 meters, and I made a few more contacts there. I called a bit on 7-ssb, and did get one contact eventually.
Looking west from the summit.
I had had enough radio at this point, so I packed up and headed down, back the way I came. Others had reported rangers giving them a hard time, but I didn't see any officials while I was out.

Trailhead: Large pullout near 21922 Loma Prieta Ave. Could also park at intersection of Loma Prieta and Loma Chiquita.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the road to the summit. It was obvious which road to take.
Red Tape: Signed that its open to residents only. (Residents of where?)
El Toro through the haze. 1509 is the ridge to the right.  Twin Peaks out of the frame to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment