Tuesday, September 5, 2017

W6/NE-147 Mitchell Hill

Mitchell Hill is a small peak east of the town of Madeline. From US 395, I drove up to the height of land on Clarks Valley Road. There is an open space on the north side of the road where I parked and camped for the night.
Formation on the other side of the road. Useful for finding my way back.
In the morning I packed up, then headed up the hill. There is only one hill here, so just walk up it. There were a lot of areas of jumbled rocks, and after a few minutes walking across them I remembered all the skills I had gotten hiking in NH. It took me just over 20 minutes to get to the top. The highest point was covered in dense branches, so I set up an a clearer area to the west.
The sun was still rising as I got on the air.
After setting up, I decided to try 15 meters first. Eventually I got a contact to Florida. Moving down to 17 meters got me three more. This was the only peak I had planned for the day, so I spent some time calling on more bands and modes. 20-ssb got three contacts, including W0MNA and W0ERI who were surprised to hear me on sideband. 30 meter CW got the bulk of the contacts. I also got two on 60 meters. Finally I called on 40-ssb and got my last contacts. After that I tried 15 and 80 meters, but didn't have any luck on either.
New setup with the Palm Pico Single and big LiPo.
By this point the sun had come over the hill, and it was getting hot. I was also tired of sitting on the rocks, so I packed up and headed for the car. I managed to come out of the woods right where the car was. Sometimes I impress myself.
Lots of rock fields like this on the mountain.
Trailhead: Height of land, Clarks Valley Road
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Hike up the hill. No route is obviously better than another.
Red Tape: None.
Smoke from a fire somewhere. Those hills are only a few miles away, as the crow flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment