Tuesday, September 5, 2017

W6/NE-005 Cole Peak

Cole Peak is one of the high peaks in the South Warner Wilderness, in Modoc National Forest. I climbed it on a three-summit day, after Eagle Peak, and before Emerson Peak. Compared to Eagle, the ascent is a walk in the park. From the col between the two peaks, go cross-country up to the summit. The slope is gentle and wide.
Me and Eagle Peak. Eagle Peak really dominates the area.
It was hot out, so I stayed in the trees as long as I was able to. This kept me closer to the cliff edge, with views back to Eagle. I was able to watch the two other climbers I had passed making their way up. There are a few areas that could lay claim to being the highest point, and I went to two of them. I didn't see any summit register to sign. After looking around, I found a shady spot to set up in. I used a tree to hold up the pole, and got on the air.
Typical scene from the summit.
Again I got on 20 meters for all of my contacts. I tried VHF too, but I don't think there are enough people around here to make it easy, unlike the Bay Area. I didn't have any cell signal from my operating position, but walking to the edge I could get a very strong 4G signal. After packing up I retraced my steps down hill, and back to the Summit Trail.
North Emerson Lake. There is a different trailhead down that way.

Trailhead: Patterson Campground/Guard Station. There are pit toilets, but no water.
Website: SOTA SitePatterson CG Site
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Summit Trail, to unmaintained trail at col. Cross-country uphill to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment