Monday, September 11, 2017

W6/NS-395

This unnamed peak is just north of the Sierra Buttes, north of Sierra City. I climbed it after stopping by a small peak above Downieville. The best trailhead is at Packer Lake Saddle, at the top of county road 621. The road is paved to this point, and although steep and narrow, easily accessible in a normal sedan. There is a small dirt lot at the top with room for a half dozen cars. This was full when I arrived, so I parked in a small area on the other side of the street.
Parking area and trailhead (PCT).
 As I was repacking my stuff and getting ready to leave, a man who was obviously a thru-hiker emerged from the woods. I started talking to Wookie, and gave him some water and a bag of chips, and he told me about his hike so far. It was a great way to start the hike. The hike simply follows the PCT north until you turn off the trail for the final climb up to the summit.

Sierra Buttes, to the south.
The trail is well worn and well graded, and it was an easy hike. It is an open forest near the peak, so the off trail section was easy. I could even watch the hikers below as I operated. The summit is a very narrow section of rock, so I setup on a flat spot on the west side of the crest. I quickly got my antennas up and got on the air.
2m/70cm yagis, doublet at the top of the pole.
Despite the contest going on, I had trouble making contacts. I thought that my height would give me a great advantage, and there would be a steady stream. I got a bunch of stations in the Sierra and Central Valley, and a few on some of the hills in the Bay Area. I discovered that the Powerpoles I had put on the cable for my new 70cm transverter had fallen off. I was able to shove them back in well enough to make a few contacts on the band.
Deer Lake, looking north.
After so many SSB contacts, I went down to 30 meters to see if I could scare up some CW contacts. I got one, and had a nice conversation with a fellow down near Nevada City. A few times some clouds passed overhead, and I was worried it might rain, but all they did was block the sun and keep me cool. It was getting late, and I didn't want to have to hike down in the dark, so I packed up and headed back the way I came.
Looking south east from the summit.
As I drove down and through the mountains to my campsite, I enjoyed the Sierra sunset and beauty. I had been concerned that there would be smoke and haze from nearby fires, but it was crystal clear in this area.
Switchback on the way down.
Trailhead: Packer Lake Saddle.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Pacific Crest Trail north. When the trail starts going downhill near the summit, turn off the trail and bushwhack up to the top.
Red Tape: None.
At the operating position. True summit behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment