Friday, May 18, 2018

W7N/CK-123 Blue Diamond Hill

This summit is on the east edge of the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, and had never been activated before. Following the suggestions of the other hikers on Peakbagger, I started at the Fossil Canyon Trailhead, on the east side of NV 159.
Parking area on the outside of the arch.
I parked near the road, on the outside of the arch. From here I followed the road to the corral, which was filled with horses, probably waiting for their next tour. A foot trail leaves from the left side of the road and heads around the base of the mountain. After a short distance this trail rejoins the wide road, and continues around the mountain. The trail crosses a stream bed, then gets much narrower. This is the start of the Bomb Voyage Trail, which I took up to the top.
Looking up the canyon at the start of the Bomb Voyage Trail.
This trail switchbacks up the hill, avoiding the cliffs. Without the trail it would be difficult to find a non-technical route to the summit. The trail is well graded, and appears to be used by horses and bikers. It was hot, but not humid, so the climb up wasn't as bad as I had feared it might be.
On the way up.
After climbing around one shoulder I got a nice view of Las Vegas and The Strip. Much nicer in nature than the city, I think. There were also great views to the west of Red Rock Canyon and the colorful cliffs. The trail became more indistinct on the top of the ridge, but I had no trouble following some trail to the summit. The last section is on wide dirt roads, and is easy to follow.
Summit on the left, with a windsock.
I hiked up to the high point, then descended back down to one of the picnic tables just below the summit. This was a convenient and comfortable operating location. I set up my loop and got on the air. As I was calling CQ, I noticed that the battery voltage was low. I then remembered that I hadn't charged the internal batteries since the last time I used the radio. Luckily, they lasted long enough for me to complete the activation.
Looking towards the Strip.
I operated on 30, 20, and 40 meters, and made three contacts on each. I was surprised at the low number of contacts, I figured Friday afternoon was a good time for an activation. I had LTE service on top, and for most of the hike. After finishing on HF, I called on VHF, but didn't get any takers. Everyone in Vegas must have been at work still.
Looking west to the red rocks.
I had thought I would bake in the sun, but shortly after I got to the top some clouds blew in and provided some shade. There was also a nice breeze to keep me cool. After finishing with the operating, I packed up and retraced my steps back to the car. The descent was uneventful, and I made it back in a bit less time than it had taken to ascend.

Trailhead: Fossil Ridge Trailhead.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Walk up the road to the corral. Take the trail on the left that goes past the corral until it rejoins the dirt road. Follow this to the stream bed, then start the ascent. Take the trail on the left up the hill, marked as the Bomb Voyage Trail on maps.
Red Tape: None.
Almost back to the car.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice report Jeff. Thank you. Too bad there weren't more chasers.
    I am hoping to become an activator within the next 2 years. (Hoping to retire) in the meantime I have been mentally putting my SOTA station together. Most of my thoughts are about the which antenna to build. I originally thought magloop. Effective compact & portable. But I was thinking the strong directivity may be too limiting. I am wondering if that may be the reason for few contacts? Or maybe just poor band conditions. I also get the impression that SOTA is not a strong part of the hobby in the U.S. I have not been able to catch a single activater yet. But I am on the east coast (Baltimore) and my station is not ideally suited for directional qrp. I think the magloop would be very beneficial to me as a chaser. All it takes is time time time.
    Good day all,
    Marty
    KC3AID

    ReplyDelete