Thursday, June 7, 2018

W7N/CK-175 Frenchman Mountain

This mountain has a number of towers on the top, so there is an access road that goes to the summit. The trailhead is at the height of land on NV 147, to the east of the city. There is a large dirt lot, with plenty of space to park.
Looking up at the first climb.
There are three climbs to get to the summit. The first one is not so bad, a bit steep. At the top is a relatively flat section is a canyon, then a steep climb with some switchbacks to the Frenchman NW col. The trail is an access road for the summit, but it is the steepest road I can remember being on. It would take a high clearance vehicle with some extra low gears to make it to the top.
Top of the first climb, looking at the second.
At the top of the second climb I caught up to two guys who weren't going any farther. They seemed impressed that I had gotten up so quickly, and that I was continuing on to the summit. After a quick drink of water I set off down into the key col. This descent wasn't as steep as the ascents I had done so far.
In the deep col, contemplating my life choices.
This last climb was steep. If the top of the mountain was a little less steep, they probably wouldn't have put in any switchbacks. It was hot, but I did make it to the top. The towers are fenced off, so I found a flat slab of concrete to sit on and got set up. The conditions were terrible, and I only made seven contacts. There must have been something in the concrete too, because I had trouble getting a good match on the mag loop.
End of the road.
I didn't even try VHF, I assumed there would be too much RF from all the towers to make it fun. Once I was done I packed up and headed down. The road was slick in places where there was a lot of sand, but I made it down to the key col without falling. I climbed back up to the top of the second climb, and turned off to get Frenchman Mountain NW.

Trailhead: Pullout off of NV 147, at the base of the access road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the road to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Contemplating the ridge hike to the next summit.

No comments:

Post a Comment