Tuesday, September 5, 2017

W6/NE-004 Emerson Peak

Emerson Peak is another of the high peaks in the southern part of the Warner Range. I climbed it after activating Eagle Peak and Cole Peak. From the Eagle/Cole col, I retraced my steps along the Summit Trail. At the col between Emerson and Peak 8742, I stepped off the trail and began to bushwhack up to the summit.
First glimpse of the summit through the trees.
This was fairly straightforward, going uphill, but I did want to avoid going over the small sub-peak. I was also running low on water at this point. Eventually the cooler forest ended and I had to hike up the final part in the full sun. At the top, I signed the register. Someone noted that if you stood on the cairn and jumped, you could get above 9000 feet. I didn't try. Once again I strapped my pole to one of the short trees and got on the air. I had a decent signal, so spotting was no problem.
Looking towards Hat Mountain, tomorrows destination.
I quickly got plenty of contacts on 20. The hardest part was dealing with the ladybugs that were swarming around. It got annoying. After packing up I tried calling my girlfriend, since there was no service at the campsite, but the signal wasn't good enough for that. Hot, tired, and thirsty I headed down the ridge, back to the Summit Trail. Eventually I found the trail, and followed it as quickly as I could back to the campsite and my store of water.

Trailhead: Patterson Campground/Guard Station. There are pit toilets, but no water.
Website: SOTA SitePatterson CG Site
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: From Eagle Peak, Summit Trail, to col between Emerson and Pk 8742. Bushwhack to the summit. Direct from Patterson, take Summit Trail, then bushwhack up past Bearcamp Mountain.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment