Monday, September 11, 2017

W6/NS-337

This unnamed peak is a small hill above Downieville that is an easy hike. I parked at what Google calls the "Downieville Public Utilites." There was a small pullout with room for a few cars, but it was full, so I parked on the side of the road behind another car.
Trailhead to the right, behind the building.
Behind the building is a dirt trail, apparently popular with mountain bikers. There is a sign at the trailhead. I took this up the hill to where it turns sharply to parallel the river. Here I turned and climbed up the spine of the ridge. This area appears to be popular with the locals, I passed many old fire pits and sawed off trees.
Typical scene on the hike.
After the initial climb, it levels out and climbs at a moderate grade. There are some rocky sections, but I didn't have trouble getting over them. Make sure you don't stop at the false summit on the way up. There are plenty of trees in the activation zone, so no need to bring an antenna support. I did not have any cell service, in town or at the top, so no easy way to spot. I had set an alert, and after a few CQs the RBN and SotaHole spotted me. I quickly worked seven people on 30 meters, all usual chasers. I had been reading reports of solar activity that would kill the bands, but 30 seemed to be as open as it usually is in the morning.
Somewhere along the ridge.
I didn't spend much time on the summit since I wanted to climb a second, higher peak and participate in the VHF contest that was about to start. The climb down was quick, though the leaves on the ground were slippery in places. I made it back to the car for the drive over to Peak 7569.

Trailhead: Behind Downieville Public Utilites. If no parking available here, park downtown and hike up Main Street.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take First Divide Trail, then turn and hike up the hill. Ridge is very easy to follow.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment