Friday, June 7, 2019

ON/ON-024 Bois du Tour du Coo

This was my fifth summit of the day and the only one that required an actual hike. I parked in the small lot by the graveyard described by ON7DQ. The next challenge was finding the trailhead. There was an embankment across the street where it should have been, but I saw no obvious place. After wandering around for a while I eventually found it. It is up the hill from the cemetery.
Start of the trail.
The area had recently been logged, and the ground was covered by the slash left behind. I picked my way through it to the open trail. After traversing the top of the embankment, it turns and head up the hill.
Up the hill.
The trail goes straight up the hill along the ridge. It is not a lot of vertical distance, so the steepness is not bad. The single track becomes a jeep trail partway up. Like all the other summits in the area, the summit is broad. There is a trail junction at the high point. When I got to the junction I stopped and found a place to set up.
Operating location.
The trees were a bit thinner here, but there was so much understory that there was no view. It seemed like I got more contacts than on earlier summits. Maybe people were home from work by this point and able to chase. By the time I was done I was getting tired and hungry. I packed up and retraced my steps back to the car.
Cemetery gates at the parking lot.
A few steep sections had ropes strung up to help you down, but I didn't find that it was steep enough to require them.

Trailhead: 50.393306, 5.874168. This is a small parking lot in front of a cemetery.
Website: SOTA Site
Maps: AA6XA/P SOTA Map 
Route: Walk up the road to just before the house. Climb up the embankment then follow the trail back then up to the summit.
Red Tape: None that I'm aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment