Sunday, June 9, 2019

PA/PA-003 Observant (Sint Pietersberg)

This peak is the higher of the two SOTA summits in the Netherlands. Like all the other Benelux summits, ON7DQ made a useful chart with the best parking locations for each summit. I tried following my GPS to the place for this one, but there were some signs that seemed to me to indicate I wasn't allowed to drive up that way. Luc says its ok to drive up that way, but as a visitor I decided to not take the chance. So instead I turned around and parked at the edge of the village and walked.
Walking up the road.
There is a cul-de-sac at the end of Guldendael road, and this is a good place to park. An overgrown, single-track trail leads from the left side to one of the dirt paths on the mountain. I got pretty wet on this trail since it had rained on the way over. On the wide, dirt path I turned right and headed up the hill.
Middle path to the summit.
I didn't have a good map, so I made some wrong turns, but eventually I found my way to the top. There is a star shaped stone structure on the summit, with a number of benches. It was mid-week on a rainy day, so there was no one else on top. I didn't feel bad setting up using the structure to hold up my antenna.
About to head down.
On the air I made contacts on the three bands I had. The clouds were dark, but it didn't rain while I was out. The walk back to the car was a lot easier since I knew where I was going. At the car I realized I had enough time for one more summit before I had to return the car in Brussels, so I drove to a suburb of Liege for my last one.

Trailhead: Cul-de-sac at the end of Guldendael
Website: SOTA Site
Maps: AA6XA/P SOTA Map 
Route: Take the single track to the wide dirt roads. Follow the roads up to the summit.
Red Tape: None that I'm aware of. Watch out for bikers.

No comments:

Post a Comment