Sunday, June 9, 2019

ON/ON-029 Terril Ste-Barde et Tonne

This summit is a small hill on the outskirts of Liege. The shortest trail to the top appears to be from the east side at the intersection of Rue Sergent Merx and Rue Naniot. I parked a block down Rue Sergent Merx at the park, then walked back up the road to the trail. ON7DQ has a great description of the route on his blog.
Heading up to the summit.
The hill is covered in lush, dense vegetation, and I quickly forgot I was in the middle of a city. There is not a lot of elevation to gain, and the trail takes its time, so it is not steep. The high point is different, however. I passed some use trails up to it, but they looked very steep, so I continued around. On the other side of the summit cone there is a trail that is less steep. I took this up to the top.
Watch your footing at the top.
The area at the top is fairly small, but there was no one else there when I was on top. I strung out my antenna and got on the air. I had a bit of time pressure since I didn't want to be late returning the car, but I got enough contacts without any trouble. I retraced my steps back to the car, and got on the freeway back to Brussels.
A few water bars would help prevent erosion.
Trailhead: Intersection of Rue Sergent Merx and Rue Naniot
Website: SOTA Site
Maps: AA6XA/P SOTA Map 
Route: Enter the woods on the trail and turn right. Follow the trail up to the summit. The backside is less steep to get to the high point.
Red Tape: None that I'm aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment