Thursday, September 19, 2013

Day 80, 9-6

--> Dicks Dome Shelter, 18.3 miles

There were make your own pancakes this morning and they were good. I hit the trail at 8 and enjoyed the rest of the Roller Coaster. I only missed one turn and had an exciting half mile adventure. Last night some law enforcement people showed up at the hostel to see if we'd seen a missing hiker. Today I passed 2 groups looking for him, one with a dog. I hope they find the guy.

In Sky Meadows State Park the trail is up on top of a grassy hill. Probably like the balds down south, except for the trees at the top. A weekender hiked with me for a little while and asked a bunch about thru hiking. This shelter is built as a geodesic dome. It is pretty cool, but not the most efficient use of space. But that shouldn't be a problem, I don't think there will be anyone else here this evening. Tomorrow I think I'll do a short 10 to what the guide says is an "Excellent Shelter." That will also put me only five miles out of Front Royal, so I can take my time on Sunday. Hopefully the weather stays, its been beautiful out. Shenandoah National Park is probably better in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment