Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day 96, 9-22

--> Fullhardt Knob Shelter, 16.6 miles

We woke up then went down to the diner for breakfast. On the way back to the trail we stopped at an old suspension bridge that was built during the civil war so troops could get across the James River. By the time we got back to the trailhead the fog had burned off. Today was a beautiful day. It was not hazy at any of the BRP overlooks. At one of them there were a bunch of people watching raptors, particularly migrating hawks. At the next overlook I stopped for lunch and watched a hawk soaring around very close to the ground.  I'm hoping to see an osprey before Georgia. After Blackhorse Gap I was back in the trees so I sped up to my normal pace. This shelter is on top of the knob, and it will probably be chilly tonight. Tomorrow I'll go through Daleville and cross I-81 again.

No comments:

Post a Comment