Monday, August 21, 2017

W6/NC-430 Little Mountain

Little Mountain is a small peak looking over Novato. This was the third peak of the day for me, after Burdell Mountain and Peak 1575. The trailhead is at Ohair park, along Sutro Ave. There is no parking lot, just pull off the pavement. From here, head up the trail that heads into the park.
Little Mountain trailhead on Sutro Ave.
At the first junction, head left. This was signed as a trail easement. There was a lot of poison oak along the sides of the trail, so watch out or wear pants. At a metal bar you can take a shortcut, following a very faint use trail up to a second bar at the trail. Continue uphill until you break out of the trees. Just after this point, turn right and follow the unmaintained trail to the summit. This trail goes along the crest of the ridge, following the vegetation boundary, staying out of the trees.
Small tree swing.
There were a few steep sections, but overall, an easy hike. At the top there are two peaks. The western one is a little bit higher, but both are in the activation zone. There are no trees, so bring an antenna support. I hiked over to the higher peak, and got set up. There was a fair amount of wind, but the guys for my mast held with no problems.
Ready to go.
Little Mountain looks over Novato, and the views were great, all the way to the Diablo range. There was excellent cell coverage, 4G, on top. I put out a spot for 30 meters, and made my contacts. I then spent another 90 minutes calling on other bands and modes, but no one answered. I did manage a summit to summit with a very weak station on the east coast. After I got tired of calling without getting a response, I packed up and headed down. The trip back was easy, only a few steep sections that required care while descending. I got back to my car for the long drive back home.
Looking down to Novato.

Trailhead: Ohair Park, Sutro Ave.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Go up the trail. Take the left fork onto the trail easement. After breaking out of the forest, follow the trail along the ridge to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
"You are a rainbow of possibilities"

No comments:

Post a Comment