Wednesday, November 22, 2017

W6/NC-384

This low peak is near the San Luis Reservoir, on the other side of CA 152 in the central valley. The closest access I could find was starting at the San Luis Recreation Area, then hiking into the Lower Cottonwood Creek Wildlife Area. I drove over Pacheco Pass, then paid my $10 entrance fee. I parked in the first lot I came across, driving down the road.
Typical view on the hike.
There was a lot of haze in the valley, so no views today. I walked back along the road to the wide, flat valley. There was a dirt road running up the valley which was much easier than walking through the tall grass. At the top of the valley is another dirt road, which I took to the left. This climbs slowly up a narrow valley along a stream. There were lots of tracks in the road after the recent rains, and a lot of tracks from some sort of cat. Somewhere along the roads I crossed into the Lower Cottonwood Creek Wildlife Area. I didn't see a sign or fence marking the boundary.
Not sure what animal the track is from.
At the end of the valley there was a large propane tank painted camouflage. The road turns left here and goes up some other hills. I continued straight and followed the ridge to the top, veering to the right when I got higher up. The climb up was steep but short. The summit area is relatively flat and rocky, enough so that I had trouble getting my stakes in the ground enough to guy my pole. I got it up eventually, and got on the air.
Setup on the summit.
I started on 30 meters, and after working everyone there, went up to 20. I thought about trying 40 andVHF, but I wanted to leave enough time to go over and get Red Hill, so I packed up. Instead of retracing my steps on the way down I followed the top of the ridge and descended to the south until I reach the road I had walked in on. From here I walked along the road back to the wide valley, then back to the paved road. This was not a very exciting hike, but would probably be a lot nicer if there are views from the top, or green grass and wildflowers in the spring.
View of something through the haze.
Trailhead: Parking lot in San Luis Reservoir Recreation Area.
Website: SOTA SitePark Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Walk back along the paved road to the wide valley, the one after the one with power lines. Follow the road to the top of the valley, then turn left and follow the ranch road to the top of the valley. The summit is up to your right, pick a ridge and hike up.
Red Tape: None. 

No comments:

Post a Comment