Monday, February 19, 2018

W6/SC-078 Anderson Peak

Anderson Peak is another peak in Big Sur with excellent views. Access is somewhat difficult, because there are no short routes to the summit. I drove down on my off Friday, and reached the trailhead around 7:30. There was enough space on the side of the road for a few cars. I crossed the road, and immediately started climbing up the trail.
Trailhead. Plenty of space to walk around the gate.

There are two parts to the hike. First, a steep climb up from the road to Timber Top with a gain of about 2500 feet, then a six mile walk along the Coast Ridge Road to the summit. While the initial climb is steep, it does have the benefit of quickly getting good views.

A look to the south along the coast.

The sun had not risen above the hills, so I had the shade to climb in. This would be a terrible climb in the hot sun. The trail is an old road. It is overgrown, and obviously doesn't see any vehicle traffic anymore.

Getting closer to Timber Top.
The steepest sections have switchbacks, but it is a healthy climb. At the top there are some corrals and grills. The forest service map says that there is a campsite here, and it seems like a decent place to camp. I had trouble finding the connection to the Coast Ridge Road, so eventually I just walked down through the open forest to it. It appears that the Soberanes fire burned up to the road but not down the other side.
A small herd of horses on Timber Top.
 
From the road, there are great views into the Ventana Wilderness. Unlike the hike up to Cabezo Prieto, the road is easy to walk on and follow, so you can spend all your time looking at the views. 
Looking north towards Ventana Double Cone.
 
If there hadn't been the views, this would have been a long slog of a hike. The road is very well maintained, and I even passed a road crew on my way down. It would also be a good place for trail runners and mountain bikers.
Junipero Serro is the peak in the center, I believe.

 At points the road crossed back to the ocean side of the ridge, and there were views up and down the coast. Eventually the road comes around a bend and you get your first view of the peak. There is FAA equipment on top, and the summit has been leveled.

First view of the summit.
 
 There is a trail that leaves to the left and looks like it goes to the summit, but there is a locked gate. Instead, continue on the Coast Ridge Road to the next intersection, where there was a sign indicating which way to go to the summit. The spur ends in a tall, locked gate with a sign warning you not to interfere with the FAA business going on.
Retaining wall.
To get to the summit, take the first left from the spur, a very sharp angle, and walk along the base of a concrete retaining wall. The road ends at another gate which has what looks like a telescope behind it. You can scramble up the slope between the wall and gate, through some manzanita, and up more slope to the open area on top.
Not sure what this is (its a VOR), but its on the summit. Cone peak on the right, JSP on the left.
Surprisingly, there is no fence or signs preventing access to the top. I walked around a bit, then saw a nice clearing on the north-east side, just below the summit. I walked down and set up my antenna here. There was even a rock that was the perfect size to use as a seat.
Enjoying the sun on Anderson Peak.
 
 I had marginal cell service (Verizon), so I send out an SMS spot and started on 30 meters. Thirty and 20 quickly brought in a lot of contacts, and I managed to make a few on 40 as well. I thought about trying VHF, but the area is very remote and I wasn't hopeful. I didn't spend much time lounging around on top since I still had a long walk back.
Someone stacked some rocks along one section of the road.
 
The hike back was long. I passed a road crew that was installing drains on the side of the road. I stopped at a bench overlooking the ocean for a break. By the time I got back to Timber Top, my legs were tired, but I still had a long descent ahead of me. 
Giant squirrell guading an intersection.
 
After finding a way back to the Boronda Trail I started the descent. I passed two parties of backpackers making their way up in the afternoon heat. There were nice views up the coast, and I saw my first poppies of the season. 
Small cove. Hard to believe I'm still hundreds of feet above sea level.
 
Eventually I made it back to the car for the long drive home.

Trailhead: CA 1.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes mapBig Sur Trail Conditions
Route: Take the Boronda Trail. At Timber Top, find a way through the woods to the Coast Ridge Road. Follow to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Panorama, looking north into the Ventana Wilderness.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you found a Variable Omnidirectional Range (VOR) - an FAA site for planes to figure out where they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The technical details are pretty neat too: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHF_omnidirectional_range

      Delete