Monday, March 26, 2018

W6/NC-191 El Sereno

This was my second time up to El Sereno, and I took the same route as the first time I went up. From the small lot at the top of Montevina road, follow the fire road up, turning left at the intersection.
Looking back at Mt Um and Loma Prieta.
Unlike the cloudy day last year, there were some decent views of the southern Santa Cruz Mountains that I enjoyed on my way up and down. At the summit I set up on the side of the road, careful to stay out of the path in case any bikers rode by.
View to the south/west.
I started my activation on 60 meters, getting three contacts. I then tried 17 meters and got another two. Finally, I went back down to 30, where I worked the pileup. I tried VHF, but only got one answer on 2 meters.  I could have spent more time at the summit, but I had some other errands I needed to run back in the valley, so I packed up and headed down.
Enjoying the first activation in over a month!
Trailhead: Top of Montevina Road. Limited parking.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the dirt road to the summit. At the junction, go left.
Red Tape: None. Watch out for bikers on the drive up.

No comments:

Post a Comment