Tuesday, November 27, 2018

K-2746 Morrow Mountain SP

I had the morning off from work, and I wanted to get out. There were no SOTA peaks close enough to do, so I decided to settle for a POTA activation. Morrow Mountain seemed like a nice place. I could get some hiking in and still operate from a summit.
The equestrian lot was super busy.
I parked in the equestrian lot, which is the first lot after entering the park. There were two other cars when I arrived, and by the time I got back both of them were gone. I headed off down the Sugarloaf Mountain Trail, taking the right fork. This was a pleasant walk through the forest, with a few muddy spots from all the recent rain.
One of the small streams to step over.
After about half a mile it crosses the paved summit road, then a quarter mile later meets the Morrow Mountain Trail. I turned right onto this trail and took it up to the summit. The trail initially drops down and crosses some reentrants before starting the climb up to the summit.
The trail doesn't see much use, but was very well blazed.
After some ups and downs, the climb started for real. I made good time up. Near the top it turns and contours around below the road for a short distance before crossing it and heading up to the summit.
Almost at the top!
I walked around the top a bit, taking in the views and using the facilities. They were much nicer than some of the privies I've found on summits. I then found a picnic table on the North side of the summit clearing with a view and got set up. I had brought my new MFJ 1820t whip and wanted to give it a try.
Setup with a bit of a view.
It was quick to setup, and the clamp helped keep the antenna vertical despite some wind. I posted a spot on the POTA page and got busy calling CQ. After one QSO, a friend recommend posting a spot on the WWFF spotting page. After being spotted there I started getting some great DX QSOs.
The trees on top still had some color.
First it was ON, then F and I in quick succession. I must have been very very weak over there, but they were able to pull me out and get me in the log. Living in California I don't hear EU stations very often, so it was exciting. I then got a bunch of W/VE stations. I tried calling on 17 and 30 meters, but didn't get any contacts. I think the whip might be a dummy load on those bands.
Last view before heading down.
By this time the wind had blown all the clouds away, and it was pleasantly sunny. I got one more ON station in the log for contact number 10, then had to pack up so I could get back in time. I took the same trails back to the car, making very good time down the hill.
So much more color with the sun out!
Overall, a great morning with some great DX.

No comments:

Post a Comment