Friday, May 1, 2020

W6/NC-333

I wanted to get out for a hike during the coronavirus lockdown, and choose this peak, thinking it would be easy to stay away from people here. There is an old logging road that runs up to the summit from Hecker Pass Highway, CA 152. Where Bodfish Creek meets the road there is a decent sized pullout, then a bridge across the stream.
Heading up the road.
I parked, crossed the bridge, and started heading up. It was cool in the redwoods, and very shady. The road climbs steeply, like these roads tend to, and I warmed up quickly. There was no challenging navigation, just a few junctions near the top. But by then its easy to see which way to go.
Old cabin on the way up.
About half way up there is an old abandoned cabin, and shortly after that an unsigned fence. There were a few down trees across the road too. Near the top the forest starts opening up, and there are some large fields.
Almost at the summit.
At the top I found a clear spot next to a tree, and got my antenna up. The cell service was very marginal on top, but I managed to get out a spot on the first band. I got 13 contacts, including two summit to summits. As I was operating, a group of turkeys walked across the field in front of me.
One of the turkeys.
After packing up I went down the same way. It was much warmer at the car, and I was glad I had got up early to do the peak.

Trailhead: Pullout on Hecker Pass Highway.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the road up to the top.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment