Friday, December 11, 2020

Vollmer Peak, Grizzly Peak, Wildcat Peak

For my run, I decided to go up to Tilden park to get some more peaks off the Nifty Ninety list, Vollmer Peak, Grizzly Peak, and Wildcat Peak. I started at the Meadows Picnic Area, just off of Central Park Drive. 
Heading up the trail on a beautiful day.

I took the fire road trail up towards the main ridge. It was a gorgeous day, and the trails were rather busy. The walk along the ridge was awesome, as you'd expect. SF was clearly visible across the bay, and Diablo on the other side. 
SF, Golden Gate, Mt Tam.

I had been to Vollmer Peak before, but I went up to the top anyways to play radio for a while. I made contacts on 20m and 40m, but there was some interference on 30m from the towers up there. After making a few final ones on 2m, I packed up and headed down and over towards Grizzly Peak.
Grizzly Peak summit. Not that impressive.

The parking area at the end of the tower access road was closed to parking, and there weren't many people in the area. I walked up the road to the summit, taking a few pictures before turning around for the long descent back towards the car. 
Wildcat Creek, a short distance below Lake Anza.

It was a nice trip down to the starting area, then over towards Wildcat Peak. There were enough switchbacks on the climb that it wasn't too difficult, but I did start seeing more and more people. 
View to the north east from the summit.

Wildcat Peak was very crowded. I stopped long enough to enjoy the view and refill my water before continuing along the ridge. This section was much less busy, and the views were just as nice. 
Sunset over SF and Marin.

It was a nice ridge run, then a steep descent back to Wildcat Creek. The return to the car wasn't as bad as I feared. I was much more tired a year or two ago when I did a similar loop during an orienteering event. I must be getting in better shape. 
Eucalyptus grove.

Overall a great day for a loop in a nice park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment