Wednesday, June 2, 2021

W6/SC-365

 After hiking and activating Black Mountain I drove a few minutes down the road to activate this unnamed peak. From my searching, it appeared the best trailhead was at the end of Four Gee Road. I turned around in the wide area at the end, then parked under a tree in the shade.

Trailhead is the dirt road heading to the right.

The trail seems to be a fire access road. It parallels the fence at the end of a subdivision for a few hundred yards before turning left and heading up the hill. At the first junction up the hill, I turned left again and headed towards the water tank.
Black Mountain in the background.

Just past the water tank the dirt road ends and becomes a paved driveway. I didn't realize where it led, so I turned and took it up the hill. Near the top are a few houses. Fancy houses. There was no negative signage, so I went all the way to the top. Past the last house the road turns to dirt again and goes to a small cell tower. I went to the far side of the enclosure to set up.
Nice views to the north.

Despite the tower there was no interference on HF. I made plenty of contacts, then decided to try VHF again. Didn't get as many contacts, but it was still fun. 
Cell tower at the summit.

I went down the same way I came up. I was going to do another summit, but my rental car started having problems, so I had to take it back to the airport to get a new one. Next time....

Trailhead: End of Four Gee Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the trail along the fence, then turn left up the hill. Turn left at the intersection towards the water tank, then right up the paved driveway.
Red Tape: None, but it is unclear to me if the area is private property.

No comments:

Post a Comment