Friday, December 15, 2017

W6/NC-318 Walpert Ridge

This peak is the high point above Dry Creek Pioneer Regional Park. I parked at the Dry Creek Staging Area, and set off up the trail. The trailhead is up the road past the parking lot. After going through a gate, take the trail to the right, the High Peaks Loop Trail. This trail goes along the valley with a creek, which was flowing this time of the year.
Early morning in the valley.
The trail goes past a corral, where there were a bunch of cows gathered. There are two trails that climb up to the top of Tolman Peak, and I took the Tolman Peak Trail. This climb was the steepest part of the hike, but it was not bad. Tolman Peak is not really a peak, more of a bump along the ridge. I walked over the summit on my way down, and was not impressed. Past the peak there was another short and steep section, then the trail opened up. This section was very scenic, and one of the nicest areas I've hiked in in the Bay Area.
A rocky area on the way up.
The actual summit is not visible until you are almost there, as there is a ridge that is only a bit lower that blocks it. There were a series of old ranch roads that I took to the top. See the map linked at the bottom. There were some cows grazing, but they all ran when I got closer. I also saw a number of black tailed deer and various raptors. After crossing the last fence, the trail makes a u-turn and goes along the ridge just below the summit. At another gate, turn and follow the fence up to the high point.
My setup with Sunol Ridge on the left. Summit behind me.
There were views on top, but not nearly as good as from nearby peaks like Sunol Ridge. There is a fence below the summit which I used to set up my antenna. I recently got a new pole that is shorter when collapsed, and it was the first outing with the new pole. It worked well.
Mt Allison, Mt Hamilton, and other peaks in the area.
I was set up on the back side of the ridge, and I only had intermittent cell service. I did have enough signal to use SMS spotting, though. I started calling CQ on 30 meters, and quickly got a giant pileup. When everyone was worked, I had worked 15 stations in 10 minutes, probably the biggest pileup I've had. It would be nice if everyone wasn't so good at zero-beating me, I would be able to pick out calls easier.
Loma Prieta and Mt Umunhum, somewhat visible through the haze. On a clear day you might be able to see down to Fremont Peak.
I then went up to 15 meters, and made four contacts. I tried 20 sideband, but only got one contact. VHF was a bust as well, with only one on 2 meters. I called for a while on 10, not expecting anything. I checked at home, and I didn't even get any RBN spots on 10. Finally I called on 60 meters, and got two more contacts in California. By this point I got tired, so decided to pack up and head down.
The view from Tolman "Peak". Tolman Peak Trail on the right.
On the way down I saw a lot of raptors, including some I don't think I've seen before. I need to get better at identifying birds, so I can name everything I see. The hike down was uneventful, and I made it back to the car for the quick drive home. I wish all the SOTA peaks were this close to my house.

Trailhead: Dry Creek Staging Area, Dry Creek Pioneer Regional Park.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the May Trail and High Ridge Loop Trail to the Tolman Peak Trail. At the top of the trail, take unnamed ranch roads to the summit.
Red Tape: None. If the parking lot is full, there doesn't seem to be any street parking nearby.
Trail to the left. To the right is some sort of public garden.

1 comment:

  1. What you have labeled as Walpert Ridge is actually Tolman Peak. Walpert Ridge is just to the North about a mile.

    The Coordinates for Walpert Ridge: 37.6264--121.961
    The coordinates for Tolman Peak 37.6147--121.9891

    I was interested in seeing that you could travel beyond the borders of Dry Creek Regional Park.

    ReplyDelete