Monday, December 18, 2017

W6/NC-410 San Pedro Mountain

San Pedro Mountain is a low mountain without any views in Marin. I took the standard route up, starting at the top of Knight Drive. There is enough space for a few cars in front of the fence, otherwise you'll have to park farther down the hill.
End of Knight Drive.

 There is a short spur trail that climbs up to the trail system in the park. From this intersection I took the old fire road, which is overgrown to the point of being a single-track trail. This climbs up the ridge, and goes over a few small bumps. It then joins an actual fire road, which climbs up to the paved summit road. A short distance up the road is the summit, off on the right side.

A redwood grove on the way up.

 There is a large open area at the summit, and what looks like an unused tower. I setup on the far side of the clearing, away from the building and tower. I strapped my pole to a tree, and got on the air. The majority of my contacts were on 30 meters, with two on 20 and none on 40. I only was able to get one person on VHF, despite calling for a while.

Summit clearing where I set up.

 I had misjudged the amount of food I needed, so I was getting hungry. I decided to pack up and head down to find a snack in town. There were some viewpoints on the way down, but they were disappointing after the views from Big Rock Ridge earlier.

Richmond Bridge, San Francisco, and southern Marin.

  Trailhead: Top of Knight Drive.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Hike up the trail. At the intersection, go hard left, up the trail. Follow the fire roads to the paved road, then to the summit.

Red Tape: None.
Panorama to the east.

No comments:

Post a Comment