Monday, April 16, 2018

W6/SC-108 Black Mountain

Black Mountain is an easy peak in the Laguna Mountain Recreation Area. I hiked it after getting Condon Peak in the morning. The trailhead is at the Upper Sweetwater Campground and day use area. I parked across the street at the day use area, where there is space for a few cars and a pit toilet. I crossed the road and headed up the trail. There is an antenna at the summit, but the road looked like it hadn't seen a car in a long time.
The summit is visible from the parking area. The campground entrance is the open area at the bottom.
After the hike up Condon Peak, the trail felt flat. It climbs up the west side of the mountain, staying at grades that would be easy for a vehicle to travel. There are a few switchbacks.
Some ponds on the way.
There are a few ponds that the trail walks by. Some of them look like they are human created. At the first one I passed some ducks took off honking, then did the same thing when I returned. The final climb up to the summit is a bit steeper than the rest of the trail, but not difficult.
Looking North-West to Pinnacles NP. North Chalone and South Chalone center left. Hawkins Peak is the rough area on the right.
There were some views at the top, but they were better from the trail on the way up. There is only one big antenna on a pole at the top, and a smaller yagi. There is a fence running across the summit, which I used to support my pole. Again, I had decent cell service on top. I started on 30 meters, but was only able to get three contacts. I started to worry, as I've had problems getting contacts during late afternoon activations. However, after putting out a spot on 40 I quickly got three more contacts.
Stuff at the summit.
As I was setting up, I caught some movement in the corner of my eye. Turning, I saw a deer, then realized that it was not a deer, but an elk. It meandered away, then a moment later, another one followed it. I got a video of the second one.
San Benito, Santa Rita, Condon, Picachos, all somewhere in there.
It was getting cool in the breeze, so I packed up and started hiking to warm up some. The descent was quick, and I was soon on the road for the long drive back to the Bay Area.

Trailhead: Upper Sweetwater area, Laguna Mountain Recreation Area.
Website: SOTA SiteLaguna Mountain Area
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the road up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Laguna Mountain on the left. I think that is Hepsedam in the back in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment